What kinda laws in north Carolina protect me from pregnancy discrimination? Does my employer have to abide by my doctors note?

Asked about 1 year ago - Greensboro, NC

I am 22 weeks pregnant and have a doctors note that states that i must work from a seated position when i feel necessary. My work usually consist of standing and lifting repetitively. So i let them know the last 3 hours of my work day I feel its necessary to sit and work due to swelling in feet and leg pain. My HR department tried to give me reasons why i shouldn't sit the whole 3 hours, that "my legs needed circulation" and "do i know how salt could affect my swelling". Told me to sit and wait for people to walk by my work area and throw some work on my table and hope that when I finish that work someone else will walk by to help me again. Overall, even with the help there is no way I will be able to sit the whole time......are they discriminating against me?

1. Matthew Vernon Silva

Pro

2

Answered . I don't think there is enough information to make a call on this one. Your doctor told you to work from a seated position, but you said you only need the last three hours . . . so your not following his orders. Then you stated you were allowed to sit and wait for work, so it seems like they are trying to comply with your needs. If they do not have anything for you to do while you are sitting, it sounds like your new job is to sit . . . which I would contend is probably a detriment to your employer (having to pay for someone to sit around). You should contact a labor law attorney and provide additional details.

2. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

2

Answered . The Pregnancy Discrimination Act, which amended Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy for employers with 15 or more employees. Basically the PDA requires an employer to treat a pregnant employee the same as a non-pregnant employee. So if the employer accommodates doctor's restrictions that are the same as yours for non-pregnant employees, then you may have a pregnancy discrimination case. However, the PDA does not require the employer to treat you better and does not require the employer to honor your doctor's restrictions if it does not honor doctor restrictions for non-pregnant employees.

3. Mishka L Marshall

Pro

2

Answered . These cases are very fact specific. Your best option is to consult with a local employment attorney. Good luck.