What kind of relief can I get from a 19 year old federal drug felony..ie pardon or expungement? Thanks!

Suwanee, GA |

I have a federal drug conviction dating back to 1993. I was charged with possession w/intent. I pled guilty to 4 out of 7 charges. Three charges were dismissed as part of my plea agreement. I do not have any co-defendants. I was sentenced to 121 months in federal prison. After release in 2001, my entire sentence was satisfied in 2003 including fines and 5 years probation, which I only served 2 1/2 years due to compliance. Since my conviction in 1993, I have not incurred any other legal problems. I recently graduated with AAS from an accredited college and have been a productive role model and citizen.

1. Unfortunately, there is no means by which a federal conviction (misdemeanor or felony) can be expunged. A presidential pardon will vacate the conviction, but interestingly, even the pardon will not expunge the conviction; your National Crime Information Center history will simply note the pardon.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

2. There is no provision for expungement of federal convictions. You can seek a pardon which must be granted by the President of the United States. Presidential pardons are extremely rare and tend to be highly political. If you are a major Democratic donor, you could possibly get a pardon. Otherwise, the chances are not good.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.

3. There is a 23 page federal pardon application that you can fill out. However, there is no federal expungement procedure.

4. While the prior questions are accurate, I suspect that you may be eligible for a pardon after 20 years if you have the right contacts with the President of the United States. Of course, that takes money and using the right attorney.

You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at Ted@Thelawteam.com. This answer does not form an attorney/client relationship with anyone and any answers do not constitute direct legal advice and should not be followed unless and until you have spoken with an attorney of your choice.