What kind of relief can I get from a 19 year old federal drug felony..ie pardon or expungement? Thanks!

Asked almost 2 years ago - Suwanee, GA

I have a federal drug conviction dating back to 1993. I was charged with possession w/intent. I pled guilty to 4 out of 7 charges. Three charges were dismissed as part of my plea agreement. I do not have any co-defendants. I was sentenced to 121 months in federal prison. After release in 2001, my entire sentence was satisfied in 2003 including fines and 5 years probation, which I only served 2 1/2 years due to compliance. Since my conviction in 1993, I have not incurred any other legal problems. I recently graduated with AAS from an accredited college and have been a productive role model and citizen.

1. Steven Paul Berne

6

Answered . There is a 23 page federal pardon application that you can fill out. However, there is no federal expungement procedure.

2. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

5

Answered . Unfortunately, there is no means by which a federal conviction (misdemeanor or felony) can be expunged. A presidential pardon will vacate the conviction, but interestingly, even the pardon will not expunge the conviction; your National Crime Information Center history will simply note the pardon.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

3. Theodore W. Robinson

5

Answered . While the prior questions are accurate, I suspect that you may be eligible for a pardon after 20 years if you have the right contacts with the President of the United States. Of course, that takes money and using the right attorney.

4. Robert David Richman

4

Answered . There is no provision for expungement of federal convictions. You can seek a pardon which must be granted by the President of the United States. Presidential pardons are extremely rare and tend to be highly political. If you are a major Democratic donor, you could possibly get a pardon. Otherwise, the chances are not good.