What kind of relief can I get from a 19 year old federal drug felony..ie pardon or expungement? Thanks!

Asked almost 2 years ago - Suwanee, GA

I have a federal drug conviction dating back to 1993. I was charged with possession w/intent. I pled guilty to 4 out of 7 charges. Three charges were dismissed as part of my plea agreement. I do not have any co-defendants. I was sentenced to 121 months in federal prison. After release in 2001, my entire sentence was satisfied in 2003 including fines and 5 years probation, which I only served 2 1/2 years due to compliance. Since my conviction in 1993, I have not incurred any other legal problems. I recently graduated with AAS from an accredited college and have been a productive role model and citizen.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Steven Paul Berne

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is a 23 page federal pardon application that you can fill out. However, there is no federal expungement procedure.

  2. Joshua Sabert Lowther


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, there is no means by which a federal conviction (misdemeanor or felony) can be expunged. A presidential pardon will vacate the conviction, but interestingly, even the pardon will not expunge the conviction; your National Crime Information Center history will simply note the pardon.

    Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.

  3. Theodore W. Robinson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While the prior questions are accurate, I suspect that you may be eligible for a pardon after 20 years if you have the right contacts with the President of the United States. Of course, that takes money and using the right attorney.

    Good luck.

    You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at Ted@Thelawteam.com. This answer does not form... more
  4. Robert David Richman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no provision for expungement of federal convictions. You can seek a pardon which must be granted by the President of the United States. Presidential pardons are extremely rare and tend to be highly political. If you are a major Democratic donor, you could possibly get a pardon. Otherwise, the chances are not good.

    This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,409 answers this week

2,984 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,409 answers this week

2,984 attorneys answering