What kind of proof is needed to file for divorce on mental cruelty grounds?

Newnan, GA |

Do relentless nagging, yelling, refusal to communicate in a reasonable fashion, leaving the house at odd hours, making one feel worthless, isolated, accusing of inability of making friends and keeping up family relationships or jobs are enough for filing on the grounds of mental cruelty?

1. You are very close, but you should really chat with a local GA attny to make sure that you can prove the grounds for that type of filing. I am sorry you have gone through this. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. If proven in court (and proof is more than saying it), possibly, depending on details and degree, but you've asked the wrong question.

You can get a divorce in Georgia regardless of fault, so, even if you have fault grounds, your divorce will almost always be granted because the marriage is irretrievably broken.

Far more important are issues like debt division, property division, child support, alimony, attorneys fees, custody, visitation and so on, and if you are considering a divorce, you need to get a lawyer as soon as possible to help you through the complex process, be it me or someone else. If you don't have a lawyer, my number is 404-768-3509.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. I agree with Attorney Lewis

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.