What kind of process is involved with filing a restraining order , and do I need an attorney ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

I have a person in my life that has continuously mad attempts to contact me over the past 3 months , I have made it clear i do not want her to contact me and I recently finally responded to her again requesting to not be bothered , and she still is persistent . ( All this is over a name of a dog by the way , nothing illegal or super crazy )

1. Andrew M. Leone

4

1

Answered . The process is filing a petition with the court and having a hearing in front of a judge (if she contests the petition). The judge would then decide based on the evidence (typically testimony) if there is sufficient evidence to issue an order. You ask if you need an attorney. The answer to that question is no, you do not need an attorney. However, it may be in your best interest to consult with an attorney as you will have to make sure the petition is drafted and filed properly, and handling a court hearing is not always as easy as it might seem. If you would like to attempt to handle it yourself, you can visit www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/ to find instructions and forms.

I hope you find this information helpful, and feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your case further. I wish you the best of luck.

2. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

2

Answered . If she's not threatening you, just bothering you with the calls, you may pursue a Harassment Restraining Order. You will need to properly file a suit in Harassment court and go to the hearing to prove that she is harassing you. A lawyer can be helpful for this but is not absolutely necessary.