What kind of outcome should i expect from this difficult situation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I was pulled over by a state trooper for weaving . . . took all the field sobriety tests , was booked , taken to do a blood test and then booked - threw and released into my moms custody . . i got a ticket from the officer with 4 charges on there . . . speeding , swerving , tinted windows 16% ( which i is think is a joke ) and driving under the influence of drugs / marijuana , , , should i get a lawyer and what kind of penalties should i expect . . this is my 1st time being pulled over for such a thing

1. Laurie Ann Schmidt

Pro

10

Answered . Assuming from your response that this is an allegation of drug (marijuana) DUI and not alcohol and depending on your specific facts you could be charged with DUI or DWAI. A DUI based on drugs requires the prosecutor to prove BEYOND a reasonable doubt that the drugs impaired your ability to drive. I would hire a lawyer to talk about potential defenses that you may have.

2. Rhidian David Watson Orr

10

Answered . The outcome of this case is dependent on many unknown variables at this time. It is also contingent to some extent on the result of your blood test and whether you hire competent counsel. You are facing the loss of your license, potential jail, probation, drug and alcohol classes, fines and court costs, community service, a conviction will cause you to have a criminal record that cannot be sealed or expunged, etc.

At a minimum, you should consult with a couple of DUI Attorneys and then make a decision on how to proceed from there.

3. James C Forslund

9

Answered . See previous answer.

4. Frank Mascagni III

8

Answered . You need to hire a criminal defense attorney in your area to represent you. The DUI carries jail, fines, loss of license, court costs, etc. It will impact you auto insurance rates if convicted. The traffic citations carry fines and points on your drivers license, if CO has a driver point system. Get legal counsel.