What kind of notice would a landlord need to give me to move out of a month to month?

Aurora, CO |

My girlfriend was living with a woman that we somewhat considered a friend. 3months later I was offered to move in and just double the rent from 350 to 700 for two people staying in a finished basement. The 700 dollars has been paid. My full month comes to an end on the 30th of sept. I moved in the 30th of August. This woman and her husband are constantly arguing but the gf and I stay out. the woman is sick and takes many meds and changes her mind constantly. So all of a sudden she tells my gf today that I need to be out by next wed? I've paid rent and kept the place clean. I've also done work for her husband who is backed up with a vending company. FOR NO PAY. She has not informed me of any of this yet. Not one word since I found out earlier today. We're home now and no words

She has not given me anything in writing nor notified me verbally. This woman is sick. Health sick. Although we are in a basement we cannot run water at night (flush the toilet, we both get off around 1030pm. Every week there is another reason for a problem. I've paid rent, fed her mutts, held her when she was crying, avoided her and her husband when they have been fighting and asking us to take sides. There is no lease signed. I'm more than willing to leave. Just the other day she asked us both to stay til may of 2014? Just 2 days later there is something different. I'm ready to go. Its Sept 26. Do I only have until next wed without any real notification or paper work from the court? I figured its best not to say anything until next weds. She has said nothing to me at all.

It sounds like the landlord is practically bipolar and constantly changing her mind. There is the legal approach of hiring a landlord/tenant attorney to represent you to fight an eviction or probably the wiser decision is to simply get out of this incredible mess. With her being ill and the constant fights upstairs, do you really want to remain in such an environment?

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

Why would you even fiddle with this? Get out of there!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

The short answer is a 7 day notice to vacate, but why stay?

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant