Skip to main content

What kind of licensed contractor is required to fixed concrete slab floor cracks inside a condo unit?

San Pablo, CA |

There are extensive cracks in the concrete slab floor inside my ground floor condo unit. The homeowners associations send an unlicensed handyman to fixed the cracks for $1090 instead of using the licensed soil engineer repair contractors who submitted a cost proposal of $9000 to gout and seal the cracks with epoxy and then apply a sealant to prevent moisture intrusion.

Attorney Answers 2


Being a real estate attorney for over thirty years and past president of my homeowner’s association your repairs does not sound like handyman work. Generally homeowner’s associations if they do not agree to have a licensed professional perform the work you are going to have to contact the city. They can’t possibly be obtaining a permit for the repair work using a handyman. Your situation raises red flags

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Mark as helpful


As a contractor and an attorney that handles construction matter, I can say one thing about concrete: it cracks. There is nothing you can do to prevent it. Whether the cracks in your concrete even need to be fixed would require a visual, and possibly structural inspection. If the cracks are structural, then there are special methods available to repair them. If the cracks are cosmetic, then repairing them is not always necessary and sometimes leaves you with something that looks even worse.
Crack repairs are usually only temporary. What often happens is that the repair holds, but the concrete cracks again on either side of the repaired area.
Without having seen the problem, it is impossible for any AVVO attorney to say what needs to be done.
Sealing concrete cracks probably does not require a license, especially if the cracks are cosmetic.
If you aren't happy with your HOA's chosen method of repair, you should contact a local attorney for a consultation.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics