What kind of legal advice can you give me about my son having an sexual relationship with his teacher.

Grenada, MS |

he was her student. and when he informed the school the only thing they did was remove him from her class. i field charges on her but have not gotten any feedback. at the time my son was 17 years old.

1. That is a criminal act. Please seek counsel immediately to look at possible civil suits against the district. In Mississippi sexual relations between teacher and students at the high school level are criminal

The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.

2. My colleague gives you some good advice; in addition to criminal charges and/or civil litigation, the school district or Board of Education most likely has adopted policy that prohibits inappropriate relationships between teachers and students. Not only might the teacher's job be affected by this relationship, but it could impact her teaching certification, as well. I also recommend you seek legal counsel immediately.

Also pay special attention to how your son is handling the situation - when an authority whom we trust ( a teacher, for example ) commits a bad act, there could be emotional consequences for the victim. He may need some counseling or other emotional support as a result of what has happened to him.

I wish your family the best.

3. My colleague gives you some good advice; in addition to criminal charges and/or civil litigation, the school district or Board of Education most likely has adopted policy that prohibits inappropriate relationships between teachers and students. Not only might the teacher's job be affected by this relationship, but it could impact her teaching certification, as well. I also recommend you seek legal counsel immediately.

I wish your family the best.