What kind of lawyer would I need to review my case involving a drunk driver that hit me while I was using my ex's vehicle?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hudsonville, MI

On 9/30/12, I was driving my ex husbands vehicle that he bought for me but was registered to him. I was struck by a drunk driver who fled the scene, leaving me in the vehicle, trapped. When I awoke, I was covered in blood and both air bags had deployed. I screamed for help but he refused & ran into the woods. I kicked my door open and chased the man through the woods with my Large MagLight. I caught him & hit him from behind with my flashlight and he fought me to let him go. The police witnessed me dragging this man by his shirt out of the woods & down the dirt road to where they were standing. He was arrested & transported to ER for medical attention. I suffered a head injury, neck sprain & a concussion that I am just now recovering from. Car was totaled & medical bills denied by Geico.

The accident occurred in Baldwin, MI which is in Lake County. I live in Hudsonville, MI which is in Ottawa County. Do I need to find an attorney that is in the county where the accident took place or can any attorney in Michigan be hired?

1. Steven Mark Sweat

7

1

Answered . consult a personal injury attorney in MI.

2. Jason Todd Studinski

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Consult a personal injury lawyer in Michigan, perhaps, look at www.michiganautolaw.com. Steven Gursten at that firm would be a good point of contact. Good luck.

3. Mickey David Larson

4

1

Answered . You should contact a local attorney whose practice includes insurance claims, auto claims, or both. Many attorneys who handle claims like yours, including myself, offer free consultations and will often agree to represent you on a contingent fee basis (that is, you pay only if you recover). I hope this helps. Take care.

4. Bret A. Schnitzer

3

1

Answered . You would want to speak to an attorney that handles No-Fault claims and is familiar with Michigan No-Fault Insurance law. We have been handling these kinds of cases for almost 30 years.

5. Jason A. Waechter

3

1

Answered . If you had insurance on the vehicle, you would get your no-fault benefits from there (including wage loss and all medical bills paid. You may be able to sue for pain and suffering if you have a threshold level injury. Even if the other guy is uninsured, you may have a claim for pain and suffering if you had uninsured motorist coverage on your car.
    ps: way to kick some A$#!

Pro

4

1

Answered . A local personal injury lawyer would be fine.

One or more answers have been taken down.