Skip to main content

What kind of lawyer should we obtain to sue a jail. How much are we looking at to get someone. What can I sue for? Medical ect..

Arlington, TX |

case? Turned myself in for a 300 ticket. Informed the jail I am insulin dependent. The nurse checked my blood sugar after the book in. Took a while. With a 350 I should have been given a shot immediately instead sent to room. Several hours later after repeatedly requesting my shot. I was given a couple units. Within 36 hours I was given 2 shots. I take roughly 5 per day. I was given no specific foods as they do a pregnant woman. I was immediatly taken to the hospital for chest and abdominal pain as well as vomiting. I was admitted to ICU for 2 days. Diabetic Acidosis. My medical records (hospital) indicate my blood sugar was over 1000 and renal failure was critical as well as WBC and other. Everytime my wife called the jail they said I was released. When really I was in a holding tank for

Attorney Answers 3


I am not licensed in TX and can only offer you general advice. I would contact a medical malpractice lawyer as well as a lawyer who files civil rights actions under a Federal Statute. Your medical negligence claim may depend in large part on who employs the healthcare providers. They may be employed by the county which would make them sovereigns and some degree of immunity may apply. However, many states hire independent medical companies to provide services to inmates. A local lawyer will know what your state does.

In addition, you may have a claim for deprivation of your civil rights even if you cannot, for some reason bring a medical negligence claim. Call a local lawyer

Betsey Herd
Tampa, Florida

Mark as helpful


You need to speak with a Texas medical malpractice attorney with experience suing government entities for medical malpractice.

You can sue for comepnsation for: medical bills, future medical care, lost wages, pain, disfigurement, impairment, and mental stress.

All medical records will need to be reviewed by a M.D. to see if there is malpractice.

Good Luck!


Mark as helpful


The attorney you need should be experienced in handling both medical malpratice and governmental liability under the Texas Tort Claims Act. These cases are difficult, so you need an attorney experienced in both these areas.

Hope this information is helpful.

Per the AVVO terms of use, this general information does not constitute legal advice, nor establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney for legal advice.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics