What kind of lawyer do i need if someone owe me money

Richmond, VA |

I sold my business 4 years ago. I have a p-note from the buyer who sign himself as a personal guarantor.

He hasn't been paying me and he still owes me a lot of money. I have tried to contact him and he has been dogging my call.

What kind of lawyer do I need for matter like this?

Thanks.

You certainly have options. You may want to see an attorney who practices 1) collections, 2) litigation, or 3) corporate / business.

You need a commercial or civil litigation attorney. A civil litigation attorney or commercial litigation attorney would typically have the experience necessary to sue the person (litigate) in the necessary court, if settlement or other negotiations can't be worked out prior to filing the suit. Also a civil or commercial litigation attorney would be able to advise you if you have a valid claim to pursue.

If you do get a judgment against this person the attorney (commercial or civil litigation) should also be able to advise in the collection process.

Please seek advise by an attorney in your jurisidiction.

A collections lawyer can do it. A lawyer who does collections litigation can do it. I do not do collections work. but there are many in town who do. You can call the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service for a name.

Business topics