What kind of form should i use for my divorce?

Asked 5 months ago - Garland, TX

Im getting divorced neither of us will have a lawyer and since we don't have any property it will be uncontested. The family court has two forms one with children and the other without children. We have a two year old but there's already a court order for child support and visitation. I don't want that to change so which form should i use?

1. Dorothea Elaine Laster

Pro

3

1

Answered . You have to use the one with children. With rates for uncontested divorces being ridiculously low, there is no reason to do it yourself. I've seen signs for between $449 and $150 for an uncontested divorce plus the Court costs. That is crazy cheap. Better to get it done right.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship
  2. Bryan L. Walter

2

1

Answered . You need to use the form with children. The prior case will be consolidated into the new case, so there'll be only one case.

3. Maria Sara Lowry

1

1

Answered . Please, please consider using a lawyer. You can easily make an error which will cost you or your child.

If it is as simple as you say, it will not cost that much. If it is more complex, you will really need representation.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now