What kind of documents do I need for starting an overseas business partnership? How to sign contract/agreement?

I have an idea for a business website and the guy who wants to create and manage the website is in India. We would like to form a partnership. How can we do that if I'm in New York and he is in India? We cannot go to each other as we both cannot afford the travel expense. Is there a special kind of contract/agreement we can sign to create the partnership overseas? How can we sign it? Help and/or any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tony

Long Island City, NY -

Attorney Answers (2)

Peter Joseph Lamont

Peter Joseph Lamont

Business Attorney - Hawthorne, NJ

This type of partnership can be accomplished but I suggest that you hire an attorney as this can be very complicated. We recently assisted an individual who is creating a partnership with an entity in Germany. It took roughly 3 weeks to get everything in order because of the complexity.

Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (... more
Bruce Givner

Bruce Givner

Tax Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

You can probably use a limited liability company for this business. The issue is "where will the LLC be established?" Will the LLC be established in New York? Or will you be better off establishing it in an offshore jurisdiction, e.g., Belize, and having that LLC register to do business in various places in the U.S.? You do not have to be in the same location in order to "sign" the contract; you can "sign" the contract in your respective locations and then send copies, as signed to each other. Both copies together constitute one signed agreement.

You need a competent business lawyer to help you determine how profits and responsibilities are to be divided, and how capital is to be contributed, among many other important decisions. There will also be important tax filings for which you will need a competent CPA. For example, as a U.S. person with 50% of a foreign partnership (if that's what you decide upon) you will need to file an IRS Form 8865. You may also have to file a Form 8938 under FATCA (the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act).

Related Topics

Small business LLCs

An LLC (limited liability company) is a business entity that has elements of both a corporation and a partnership (or sole proprietorship).

Featured Legal Guides

Small business partnerships

A business partnership is an arrangement whereby parties enter an agreement to cooperate for their mutual benefit.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.