What kind of documentation is adequate enough to show proof of checking and savings bank account assets for form I-864?

Asked about 1 year ago - Madison Heights, MI

My husband is filing form I-864, The affidavit of support. He does not meet the income requirements to sufficiently sponsor me and his young sister. However, he is going to make up the difference of the cost in assets. He makes $11 .50 an hour and $22080 a year. The household size is 3. He has saved around 21,000 dollars in 3 different bank accounts, and he wants to show proof of this to the USCIS. Could he use one bank statement per account as proof of his assets? Are more statements required? Or is there an even simpler way to show proof, that doesn't require a lot of printing.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The simplest way is to obtain a co-sponsor to file an additional affidavit of support. Any family member, friend, relative, co-worker or good samaritan would do.
    Short of that, if husband wants to use his bank deposits, and/or other assets, then the rule is that the assets used must amount to 5 TIMES the 125% of the poverty guidelines amount for a household your size needed to qualify.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney about your case. You mentioned that he is sponsoring you (his wife) and his "young sister." It appears to me that his sister might not be eligible to apply for permanent resident status at this time. Regarding the affidavit of support, if your husband is below the required amount, then he needs to try to show that he has assets to make up the difference. If he is sponsoring you, then he must show assets that equal 3 times the difference. If he is sponsoring his sister, then he would need to show assets equal to 5 times the difference. Again, it appears that you should consult with an immigration attorney about your case in order to prepare the applications and to avoid problems and errors that could cause delays or other problems.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. Lalita Haran

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Affidavit of support issues can be seemingly easy but complex in practice. Your husband should hire an experienced attorney for help. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

    Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,733 answers this week

3,041 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,733 answers this week

3,041 attorneys answering