What kind of documentation is adequate enough to show proof of checking and savings bank account assets for form I-864?

Madison Heights, MI |

My husband is filing form I-864, The affidavit of support. He does not meet the income requirements to sufficiently sponsor me and his young sister. However, he is going to make up the difference of the cost in assets. He makes $11 .50 an hour and $22080 a year. The household size is 3. He has saved around 21,000 dollars in 3 different bank accounts, and he wants to show proof of this to the USCIS. Could he use one bank statement per account as proof of his assets? Are more statements required? Or is there an even simpler way to show proof, that doesn't require a lot of printing.

The simplest way is to obtain a co-sponsor to file an additional affidavit of support. Any family member, friend, relative, co-worker or good samaritan would do.
Short of that, if husband wants to use his bank deposits, and/or other assets, then the rule is that the assets used must amount to 5 TIMES the 125% of the poverty guidelines amount for a household your size needed to qualify.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney about your case. You mentioned that he is sponsoring you (his wife) and his "young sister." It appears to me that his sister might not be eligible to apply for permanent resident status at this time. Regarding the affidavit of support, if your husband is below the required amount, then he needs to try to show that he has assets to make up the difference. If he is sponsoring you, then he must show assets that equal 3 times the difference. If he is sponsoring his sister, then he would need to show assets equal to 5 times the difference. Again, it appears that you should consult with an immigration attorney about your case in order to prepare the applications and to avoid problems and errors that could cause delays or other problems.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Affidavit of support issues can be seemingly easy but complex in practice. Your husband should hire an experienced attorney for help. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.