What kind of custody should we seek?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fairfax, VA

Me and my ex-wife are trying to figure out what kind of custody we want for our child. We both agree that she should watch the child mostly (better job, living conditions, etc.). However I still want a say in what my son can and can’t do and to come over for a few holidays/birthdays. I’ve heard that in sole custody this can be hard to enforce. Which custody should we seek?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . Sole custody is easy to enforce. One parent gets to do everything to the exclusion of the other parent. Enforcement is not an issue.

    Under the circumstance you describe, joint legal custody, primary physical custody to mother, and visitation to the father may be fit your situation.

    Joint legal custody allows both parents to have a say in how the child is raised. Primary physical custody recognizes the mother's better ability to watch the child. Visitation allows the father birthdays, holidays, etc.

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Sole custody

Sole custody means that a child will only live with one parent, although the other parent often still has legal decision making power and visitation rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,610 answers this week

3,666 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,610 answers this week

3,666 attorneys answering