Skip to main content

What kind of consequences will come of a minor transporting alcohol but not consuming it?

Collinsville, IL |

What will happen if a minor has alcohol (in an unopened/original container) placed in the trunk of his/her car? Even if the minor has not consumed any alcohol, and there is no one else in the car, will driving privileges still be revoked? ALSO, if the minor is currently on supervision for a traffic violation and this happens, will repercussions be worse?

Attorney Answers 3


It is illegal to transport any alcoholic beverage in the passenger area of a motor vehicle unless the liquid is in its original container and the seal is unbroken. A second or subsequent conviction of this section will generally result in a substantial driver's license suspension. A driver under 21 years of age who is convicted of this section will also generally receive a driver's license suspension for a first offense.The best outcome for a person facing such a charge is to convince the prosecution to dismiss the case. This takes an experienced attorney so hire one. Proof about what is open and where (trunk) is critical in your case.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Negative impact on one's driving privileges especially if under the age of 21. The best approach is to retain a counsel attempting to dismiss if the case circumstances are favorable.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If there is any disposition on the case as charged the minor will lose his/her license for a period of time. An attorney may be able to get the charge amended which would prevent a loss of license. Madison County has a diversion program for first offenders that if completed successfully will also prevent a loss of license as long as he/she qualifies.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics