What kind of compensation can I ask for in my car wreck? I was not at fault.

Warner Robins, GA |

I was sitting stopped at a red light in the left turn lane. from my right a pick up truck was turning left onto the road I was on but failed to yield to a school bus coming from my left. both had green lights. the bus hit the breaks but couldn't stop and hit the truck which then hit me. the airbags in my car were deployed and my 9 year old son got a 1st degree burn on his face from them. my car was totaled. my problem is, I live pay check to pay check. I cant afford a car payment. my car was older, a 96 ford probe, but I had put a new engine in, new tires and trans.. less than 17000k on the engine and less than 1000k on the tires and trans.. I can not replace my car with the $1500 they are offering me. I need more to get a just as dependable car as I had. what can I do? please help.......

they are offering my son $500 plus his medical bills. they put a neck brace on him and put him on a stretcher and took him by ambulance to the er to be checked out. is this fair compensation for his pain and suffering? what about mine, should they offer me any for the stress and mental anguish from all this?

I suggest you talk to an experience personal injury attorney. You and your son should get checked out to see if you were hurt more than the airbag burns. Feel free to call for a free consultation.
478-254-3519
www.edwardsandbullardlaw.com

Photograph the burns on your son's face now and as they heal. Gather your receipts for your new engine and your tires. Get some values for your vehicle with low mileage. Then go see an attorney, the attorney will get you the best deal.

This response does not create a lawyer client relationship. Each case is determined on its specific facts and this reply is intended for a general audience and facts particular to your case may affect the answer. Consult with an attorney in person for specific answers to your questions.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm happy it was not worse than it was. In terms of compenstaion there are too many variables to give you an accurate idea of what your claim is "worth". There are 2 issues though - one is the property damage claim (the loss of your car), and the second is the compensation to you and your son for your injuries. In terms of the injuries, I would advise you to discuss the case with an attorney before making any statements to the opposing insurance company. They will use anything you say against you, and they will lowball any offers to you in a way that pressures you into accepting it. The insurance companies have binders and binders of training materials on how to manipulate folks like yourself into taking much less than the claim is worth (I used to defend insurance companies, and even I was surprised at how good they are at it).

In terms of the loss of your car, our firm handles that as part of the injury case and we don't take any fees from that recovery. Even with respect to the value of your car, an attorney can usually get you more than what the insurance company is offering. I believe other firms may do something similar. We all offer free consultations and you don't pay us anything upfront - only when you resolve your claim, so there is no risk. Get some good advice and don't get taken advantage of! Good luck to you and your son healing.

For more information, contact us at Fareesh@SarangiLaw.com or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.

Both Ms. Edwards and Mr. Sarangi give good advice. Contact one of them, if in your area, to assist you. As noted, you have two issues - the property damage claim and potential personal injury claims for you and/or your son. Don't speak with the other carrier(s) on your own, anymore.

Don't try to resolve this without a personal injury lawyer, or you will get a tiny nuisance settlement at best.

Although you came to Avvo site for an answer, unfortunately your question requires a more in-depth response than one that can be provided here. You may have several claims: you son's bodily and psychological injury claim, your vehicular damage claim, and possibly a product liability claim. You need to speak in person with a personal injury attorney who can explain these claims to you in detail. Most Avvo attorneys offer a free consultation. If you would like us to evaluate your claims for you, please go to the web page link below, then to the "Contact" page, for a free consultation:

Law Office of Robert G. Rothstein (Atlanta)
www.rgrothsteinlaw.com

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you by attorney Robert G. Rothstein (404) 216-1422 for educational and informational purposes only.No attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.