Skip to main content

What kind of case do I have if I believe I was fired over sexual harassment? Is there financial help for this?

Loveland, CO |

I was sexually harassed over the course of employment. I went to shift managers. They asked him to stop. I went to the General Manager, he did nothing. Then I went to the district manager who told me it was not sexual harassment because I was gay and he was "straight." I threatened to get a lawyer if he was not fired, a week later I was fired over "attendance issues."

Attorney Answers 4


You will first need to file a complaint with the EEOC. Then the EEOC will give you a right to sue letter which will allow you to move forward with a discrimination suit. You will want to sit down with an experienced plaintiff's employment attorney to discuss your case. You also need to understand that, at best, it will take many months to resolve a case like this.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


I agree and would recommend that you see an attorney first before you file with EEOC.


While your summary is very abbreviated, you have stated here the outlines of a very strong and sound case. Do NOT go to the EEOC on your own. Find a skilled and experienced employment attorney FIRST -- an attorney from the very beginning can make a huge difference in the strategies to be brought to bear on your matter, including the strategic determination of whether to make your complaint at a state agency instead of the EEOC.

Use Avvo "Find an Attorney" feature or go to and look at the listings for your state and area. You will have no trouble finding qualified attorneys who will consult with you without charge and, if your case is as strong as it seems based on your summary here, you will likely find good legal counsel on a contingency fee agreement.

Good luck to you.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I concur with my colleagues' advice and would also recommend that you seek out the assistance and counsel of an attorney in your locale who handles EEOC and employment law cases, immediately! Good luck.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with the other attorneys who have posted. You should consult with an experienced employment attorney in your area as soon as possible.

Kirk J. Angel is an experienced North Carolina licensed attorney who focuses his practice on employment law. Mr. Angel, who has focused on employment law for more than 15 years, represents clients throughout North Carolina and more information about him is available at This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your state who practices in the appropriate area.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics