What kind of case do I have if I believe I was fired over sexual harassment? Is there financial help for this?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Loveland, CO

I was sexually harassed over the course of employment. I went to shift managers. They asked him to stop. I went to the General Manager, he did nothing. Then I went to the district manager who told me it was not sexual harassment because I was gay and he was "straight." I threatened to get a lawyer if he was not fired, a week later I was fired over "attendance issues."

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

2

Answered . You will first need to file a complaint with the EEOC. Then the EEOC will give you a right to sue letter which will allow you to move forward with a discrimination suit. You will want to sit down with an experienced plaintiff's employment attorney to discuss your case. You also need to understand that, at best, it will take many months to resolve a case like this.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . While your summary is very abbreviated, you have stated here the outlines of a very strong and sound case. Do NOT go to the EEOC on your own. Find a skilled and experienced employment attorney FIRST -- an attorney from the very beginning can make a huge difference in the strategies to be brought to bear on your matter, including the strategic determination of whether to make your complaint at a state agency instead of the EEOC.

Use Avvo "Find an Attorney" feature or go to www.nela.org and look at the listings for your state and area. You will have no trouble finding qualified attorneys who will consult with you without charge and, if your case is as strong as it seems based on your summary here, you will likely find good legal counsel on a contingency fee agreement.

Good luck to you.

3. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

1

Answered . I concur with my colleagues' advice and would also recommend that you seek out the assistance and counsel of an attorney in your locale who handles EEOC and employment law cases, immediately! Good luck.

4. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys who have posted. You should consult with an experienced employment attorney in your area as soon as possible.