What kind of attorney handles harrassment by a civil service employee/employees?

Milwaukee, WI |

I was handling some business down at the county jail. When I accused of being involved with the case.When I asked how my name got involved. The response was "our third shift came up with it. I asked how they came up with.noone had any answers. I filed a complaint and even went down to the IA dept. no response yet. this has been goin on for about 3 months.

If this was the Milwaukee County Jail, then your complaint would normally be reviewed by the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department Internal Affairs Division. I would contact them to find out who is investigating the complaint. If you plan to pursue a claim for some type of injuries or damages, there is a Notice of Injury form filing requirement that requires that you file a Notice of Injury form with the County Clerk's Office within 120 days from the date of any injury or damages. The Notice puts the County on notice of a possible future claim. A failure to file the Notice of Injury form in a timely manner could prevent you from successfully pursuing a claim for any damages. Also, be aware that there is a three year statute of limitations time period which requires that any injury/damages settlement or a lawsuit be filed within three years from the date of the incident. Assuming that you have not been charged with a crime, you probably have little to worry about, however, if you have further concerns, I would suggest that you consult with a local attorney by phone or in person to discuss the concerns in more detail.

Very helpful. i did file a complaint with I/A. Some captain called me and asked if I wanted to file a grievance and stated that no one would be disciplined. I went down to I/A and talk to other employees there. and no one has called me since. Where would I get this notice of injury/

Jonathan S. Safran

Jonathan S. Safran

A Notice of Injury, filed pursuant to Section 893.80(1)(a), Wisconsin Statutes, would be filed with the Milwaukee County Clerk's Office, Milwaukee County Courthouse, Room 105, 901 North 9th Street, Milw., WI 53233, again within the 120 day time limit from the date of the incident. A Notice of Claim form, pursuant to Section 893.80(1)(b) is required to be filed at the same time but usually filed later, itemizing your damages and making a dollar claim for settlement. The Notice of Claim should only be filed when you are prepared to settle your claims or start a lawsuit. After you file the Notice of Claim, the County will have 120 days to respond to your Claim, and you will have to wait for a response or wait the full 120 days before a lawsuit can be filed. I am not sure if the County Clerk's office has an actual Notice of Injury form to use, so you may need to review the statute and then prepare one for yourself, but make sure to follow all of the requirements.

Your post does not strike me as a description of harassment. The type of attorney would be one who reglarly sues governmental unit and has some experience with harassment.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights