Skip to main content

What kind of attorney do i need to speak with for visitation ,child support ,and or mediation

Atlanta, GA |

i am on cs but unemployed she kept him from me and now im just hearing from her a week ago when she contacted me we talked and made an agreement so that i could see him but now after only 7 days she is angry aggressive and argumentative . so now she wants to go to court for visitation,and child support after disappearing for 6 years

Attorney Answers 5


You need a qualified family law attorney who will fight aggressively for you. Contact the bar association or look here on AVVOnfor attor yes in your area.

The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.

Mark as helpful


You need a family attorney and one who has custody experience look in avvo type in custody attorney add your justification you will find qualified attorneys and you can read about them befor you contact them

Contact local consel

Mark as helpful


Look here on AVVO at lawyer ratings and practices and that will help you locate counsel. You need a lawyer to navigate a contested custody/visitation/support case.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You need a passionate attorney who focuses on Fathers' Rights. You have described a classic case of Parental Alienation which occurs when one parent alienates the child from the other parent while creating discord and destroying a bond which would otherwise exist. If you were never married to the mother you must take steps immediately to establish your legal rights. Those rights can be granted by court order only at this time during your child's life. Find a lawyer in your area who fights for fathers.

This answer serves as a guide and does not establish an attorney-client relationship with the person posing the question. I am licensed to practice law in Georgia. You should always seek competent, legal counsel to provide you with advice for your jurisdiction. My responses are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship and none of my responses are provided as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I am uncertain what "i am on cs but unemployed" means. I am also uncertain from this whether you have legitimated your relationship with your son. Assuming you have, it sounds as if you are behind on child support and irregular in your child support payments. It also sounds as if she has vanished with your son and only lets you see him when she feels like it or when she is happy with you. All of these things must be immediately addressed: (1) the proper amount of child support should be established (and this may require a formal modification filed with the court); (2) possible child support arrears (which may involve a payment plan or a negotiated settlement in order to avoid a contempt of court charge); and (3) regular parenting time with your son (this may require a legitimation, a contempt motion against her, as well). Please understand that child support in Georgia is based upon a model called "income sharing" which considers both your income and hers in determining the proper amount. Also please understand that if you are behind on child support, this is called an "arrearage." Child support arrearages cannot simply be wiped away. In fact, the judeg has no authority to forgive them. This money must be paid, even after your son is an adult, unless you can negotiate a settlement with the mother. Finally, you have definite rights to see your son, and it is in his best interest to know both of his parents. I would be happy to speak with you further if you like. Steve Shewmaker

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics