Skip to main content

What kind of attorney do I need to protect the assets of my elderly mother that needs to be placed in assisted living

Homosassa, FL |

She is failing fast and my wife and I do not have to skills to care for her. She has some assets that need protecting. Not a lot but enough to be concerned with.

My wife and I have heard there are attorneys that specialize in this but don't know where to start.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. A trusts & estates lawyer

    This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Yes, you need a lawyer you does trusts and estates. You need to start consulting immediately because once she is no longer competent, it may greatly complicate things.

  3. From your question, it sounds like you are looking for someone to help with medicaid planning. You should consult an elder law attorney.

    The above answer is not to be considered legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. You should consult your attorney for specific legal advice as to your individual situation.

  4. We are called "Special Needs Trusts" attorneys and we assist those that may be disabled or may need to qualify for government assistance in their care. Is she on SSI or Medicare? Does she receive any state-funded assistance currently? Have you investigated any of the state-funded Assisted Living Waivers programs for her yet? Many Florida trusts and estates attorneys also have experience with special needs. That is the type of attorney you should be looking for. I don't know anyone personally in your area, but the Special Needs Alliance may have a special needs attorney in their network that is near you. The Florida Department of Elder Affairs can also be of assistance with programs that may benefit her. Good luck!

    Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.

  5. I agree with my colleagues. You want to schedule a consultation with an Elder Law attorney.
    The following link will help you preparing the initial consultation.

    Douglass Lodmell is the nations #1 Asset Protection attorney and has clients in all 50 states, protecting over $4 Billion in client assets. Answers given by him in this forum do not establish an attorney-client relation. He advises to seek a specialized attorney in the area of your interest for legal representation.

  6. An elder law attorney that handles special needs trust and medicaid cases can help you.
    Many times all the assets can be protected and government benefits can be obtained.
    Many Florida offices including ours offer free consults.

    Attorney Joe Pippen
    20 Florida Offices

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  7. It sounds like you need an attorney who practices Estate Planning and Elder law.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics