What kind of attorney do I need for a Personal Injury and Civil Rights case involving the military?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albuquerque, NM

I am a 25 year old USAF Veteran with 100% Service-Connected Disability for PTSD in relation to MST and a post-military sexual assault. I have filed Federal Tort Claims for Property Damage and Personal Injury/ Strict Liability against the USAF due to unlawful actions exhibited by the organization. In June 2012, a sexual assault case was opened for a post-military assault that took place while I was a federal contractor employee working at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. During the investigation, I was placed in a homeless shelter by the USAF against my will. I experienced severe personal injury: continous victimization, harassment, pain and suffering, multiple medical injuries, mal-practice, lost my job inappropriately, and suffered from severe civil rights discrimination. I lost my ho

Additional information

lost my home, job (due to the direct actions of the USAF), and my property was confiscated by the USAF and has been damaged by said military organization. My property is still located on the installation at Kirtland AFB, NM. While attempting to receive veteran benefits, I was unlawfully discriminated against and barred from coming onto the installation during the sexual assault investigation. I have not been able to retrieve said property. The USAF has acknowledged on record with my current public defender, Mrs. Carey Bhalla, its attempts to continue to unlawfully discriminate against me during this time. I have contacted the State Senator and Congress is now involved in this high profile, ongoing case. (Additional Information is included under the same question different post.)

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Military attorney. There are several here on Avvo check under military lawyers : Cassera, Director, Healy, Cave, Purdue.

    It's not clear how it is the AF could have responsibility for placing a civilian contractor in a homeless shelter, there is a LOT missing from your post the would be required if you were to have any shot at a FTCA claim success.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . So many complaints weakens each one.

  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should definitely get an attorney in your area that has experience with military affairs.

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your PD would be in the best position to advise you and point you in the right direction.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury lawsuits

Personal injury lawsuits allow an injured person to seek compensation for the injury, either by court decision or through a settlement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,739 answers this week

3,624 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,739 answers this week

3,624 attorneys answering