Skip to main content

What kind of attorney do I need?

Beaumont, TX |
Filed under: Consumer protection

I am looking for an attorney to file a deceptive trades and practices claim against a small used car dealership that sold my wife and I a vehicle that had been in 2 previous wrecks that the dealership didnt tell us about at time of sale. I dont know how much money the dealership has, but they have about 25 vehicles on their lot. I have been told by another attorney that the dealership "probably" wouldnt have the money to pay all the fees. But that still doesnt make it ok for the dealership to break the law. Or does it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should find a consumer protection attorney with experience with the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


I would suggest calling another attorney.

That size lot is definitely within the range my firm would sue if there were good reason to, although size of lot is not the only factor in a case. Unfortunately, in some cases the dealership is so small (say 10 or fewer cars on lot and no other lots owned by same individual) that small claims court is your only option.

Considering that many DTPA claims settle with investigation and a letter, I find it hard to believe that the dealership couldn't make right with you and pay attorney fews of a few thousand dollars to your counsel, so keep searching for counsel and best of luck to you.

The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Hill Country Consumer Law ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Ms. Kleinpeter nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims.

Consumer protection topics

Recommended articles about Consumer protection

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer