Skip to main content

WHat kind of attorney do I need? 25-y-o WC case. Insurance company to be responsible for medical bills.

New Port Richey, FL |

Settlement was reached years ago. I'm 100% disabled. NO major problems with them paying the medical until about a year ago. Now, they're using every dirty trick possible to squirm out of paying these bills. I've tried to work with them, but it's become impossible and am concerned about making things worse. They definitely are not looking out for my best interest. Imagine that. SO, I need an attorney to take care of this. Can a general practice attorney do this or do I need a workman comp attorney. I'm concerned about time requirements that may run--according to them. THEY have also exacerbated an injury by their tactics. I definitely need the medical/prescriptions paid now and in the future. Any advise?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    As someone who has been representing injured workers in workers' compensation disputes in Pinellas and Pasco County since 1985, I think Mr. Schwartz has hit the nail on the head. A lot, although not all, of the workers' compensation laws are substantive laws meaning that they apply only to certain dates of accident. When you say the settlement was reached years ago, I presume that you mean you settled your rights to workers' compensation disability money benefits but that settlement left open your rights to workers' compensation medical care benefits. Florida law changed effective January 1, 1994 to allow workers' compensation settlement to settle the right to future medical care in addition to the right to future money disability benefits. Prior to that time, a claimant (injured worker) was not allowed to settle his right to future medical care benefits even if he wanted to. Effective January 1, 1994 and again October 1, 2003, the Florida workers' compensation laws changed the burden for the claimant to prove what medical benefits he was entitled to. Your burden is easier if your workers' compensation accident was before October 1, 2003 and especially if it was before January 1, 1994. Like Mr. Schwartz said, I suggest you contact an experienced workers' compensation attorney who has experience with Florida workers' compensation cases under the laws as they existed in the late 1980s throughout the 1990s. A good place to start to find the right attorney is here on Avvo.

    Disclaimer: The above does not constitute legal advice. It is the opinion of the author and is based upon facts which may be incomplete. No attorney/client relationship is formed by this discussion. You should consult an attorney with questions about your particular situation.

  2. You should consult with a workers comp attorney regarding this matter.

    The answers provided are of a general nature and are not intended to be final or complete answers of any individual's legal questions. Other facts not considered may change the analysis or outcome. Do not rely on information presented herein to address your individual legal concerns. Your receipt of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship and the legal privileges inherent therein. If you have a legal question, you should consult an attorney experienced in that area of the law. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you hire an attorney, you should request information about the attorney's qualifications and experiences. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum.

  3. You should consult with a qualified workers' compensation attorney immediately.

  4. You need a workers comp atty becuase it relates to a denial of benefits that are covered

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Connell is a Colorado attorney licensed in only that state. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

  5. As the other attorneys have suggested, you should consult with an attorney who handles workers' compensation cases. Because your accident was 25 years ago and you require ongoing medical treatment which the carrier has apparently agreed to provide, a workers' compensation attorney knows the applicable statutes, rules or procedure and standards of proof to help you obtain the benefits you need. Best of luck.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal analysis is for general information, based upon the limited facts provided. Comments are not intended to constitute binding legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship formed as a result of this communication. The response provided shall not be relied upon as legal advice from the responding attorney and it is based solely upon the limited facts being provided to the responding attorney by the person posing the question. To the extent additional or different facts may exist, the response provided by the responding attorney might change. Responding attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. As such, the response provided is based solely upon Florida law unless otherwise herein stated. If you find this information helpful, please check the "Up" arrow box below.

  6. This is happening because the carrier wants to settle your claim for future medical. A wc lawyer should file a Petition for Benefits for all of your medical needs including a psychologist or psychiatrist if you have emotional problems related to your compensable injuries. Doing so will force them to comply or they will be forced to pay your lawyer if they drag their feet.

    The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application and should NOT be relied upon. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices.

  7. Workers' compensation benefits are tied to the date of accident. So, whatever the substantive W/C law entitled you to 25 years ago when you had the accident is what would apply to your current disputes. Importantly, though, the W/C laws have changed dramatically since your accident took place. You should, therefor, contact an attorney who handles primarily (if not exclusively) workers' comp cases and has experience with older cases like yours. Most attorneys, even personal injury lawyers who take a few W/C here and there, are not likely going to have the depth of knowledge of the system to give you the best possible advice. Do your homework, and find someone as soon as possible.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics