Skip to main content

What kind of asylum I can apply to in the US?

Cleveland, OH |

I am Syrian,what kind of asylum can I apply to in the US but political asylum?
is there humanitarian asylum?is the green card only for political asylum?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Asylum comes in only one flavor.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


There is no humanitarian 'asylum' ... only TPS.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.



well ,I can't apply for TPS sir because I will arrive after June/2013.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


Whatever you do, don't make plans to enter the US on a tourist visa .... with the intention of staying permanently. If you feel your life is unsafe, contact the UNHCR and ask to placement into a refugee camp:

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal


Of course there is humanitarian asylum, simply not on these facts.


There are a few different grounds for asylum but your better option is TPS.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


An asylum application must prove past persecution and likelihood of future persecution on an enumerated ground, such as political opinion, religion, membership in a social group, etc.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500


If you do not have an asylum claim you may consider the possibility of temporary protected status for Syrians.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer