What is your opinion on DIY divorce options?

Asked over 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

I have found a website that allows you to fill in all the necessary information and prints up DIY divorce papers for you at a flat fee of $199.00. My future ex and I have nothing that is common property and child custody is aleady in place. Is this type of site worth it and will the paperwork take longer to be processed?

1. Michael Colin Barrows

7

1

Answered . BEWARE! All of the DIY divorce websites are scams. They charge for forms you can find online at the court's website for FREE.

This being said , it is always preferable to spend the money and have an attorney draft the forms. Better to be safe then sorry. You wouldn't perform surgery on yourself, would you? If it is a simple uncontested divorce, it should be relatively inexpensive.

Michael C. Barrows, Esq.
    Law Offices of Michael C. Barrows
    369 Lexington Avenue, 2nd Floor
    New York, New York 10017
    Tel. (646) 237-7850
    Fax. (646) 619-9312
    www.BarrowsLaw.com
    www.NewYorkDivorce.info

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

1

Answered . Is DIY do-it-yourself? You can go to the Office of Court Administration web site (see link below) and find the forms you need.

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/divorce/forms.shtml

I bet you can find a local lawyer to handle it for not much more than the DIY site wants to charge you. That way, it will get done corrrectly and faster. The $199 does not include the Court filing fees.

3. Howard A. Schwartz

6

1

Answered . Do not pay for forms you can get for free. If you are able to down load the forms you need and handle the paperwork you will only have to pay associated court fees. Only you can decide I the financial savings are worth the money you save. Good luck.

4. Daniel Yaniv

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Do-it-yourself websites are offering nothing more than generated forms that you can obtain from the court for free. More often than not these DIY documents will be rejected for various reasons resulting in delays and countless trips to the court. It's simply not worth the hassle, agravation, wasted time and stress to save a few hundred dollars. Our office prepares and files uncontested divorces for $499 plus standard court fees. We also offer a free consultation. Visit our website www.uncontesteddivorceny.com.

5. Michael C. Wild

5

1

Answered . Your time and money will probably be better spent by hiring an attorney. Beware websites that sell create-your-own legal documents. They might not turn out to be the bargain that is advertised.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.
  6. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

1

Answered . Don't do it. You can get the forms for free from the court website. The court fees are approximately $335. Better yet hire an attorney for a modest fee. In the long run it is cheaper and better for you.