What is your opinion on DIY divorce options?

Buffalo, NY |

I have found a website that allows you to fill in all the necessary information and prints up DIY divorce papers for you at a flat fee of $199.00. My future ex and I have nothing that is common property and child custody is aleady in place. Is this type of site worth it and will the paperwork take longer to be processed?

Do-it-yourself websites are offering nothing more than generated forms that you can obtain from the court for free. More often than not these DIY documents will be rejected for various reasons resulting in delays and countless trips to the court. It's simply not worth the hassle, agravation, wasted time and stress to save a few hundred dollars. Our office prepares and files uncontested divorces for $499 plus standard court fees. We also offer a free consultation. Visit our website www.uncontesteddivorceny.com.

Please note that this general response to your inquiry does not establish an attorney-client relationship.You should consult with a competent attorney for advice regarding your particular situation.

2. BEWARE! All of the DIY divorce websites are scams. They charge for forms you can find online at the court's website for FREE.

This being said , it is always preferable to spend the money and have an attorney draft the forms. Better to be safe then sorry. You wouldn't perform surgery on yourself, would you? If it is a simple uncontested divorce, it should be relatively inexpensive.

Michael C. Barrows, Esq.
    Law Offices of Michael C. Barrows
    369 Lexington Avenue, 2nd Floor
    New York, New York 10017
    Tel. (646) 237-7850
    Fax. (646) 619-9312
    www.BarrowsLaw.com
    www.NewYorkDivorce.info

Please be advised that the information contained herein is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. Further, in the absence of a signed retainer agreement or letter of engagement between the recipient hereof and the author, the transmission of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Is DIY do-it-yourself? You can go to the Office of Court Administration web site (see link below) and find the forms you need.

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/divorce/forms.shtml

I bet you can find a local lawyer to handle it for not much more than the DIY site wants to charge you. That way, it will get done corrrectly and faster. The $199 does not include the Court filing fees.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. Your time and money will probably be better spent by hiring an attorney. Beware websites that sell create-your-own legal documents. They might not turn out to be the bargain that is advertised.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.

5. Do not pay for forms you can get for free. If you are able to down load the forms you need and handle the paperwork you will only have to pay associated court fees. Only you can decide I the financial savings are worth the money you save. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

6. Don't do it. You can get the forms for free from the court website. The court fees are approximately $335. Better yet hire an attorney for a modest fee. In the long run it is cheaper and better for you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.