Skip to main content

What is total cost of divorce in NJ New Jersey....

Edison, NJ |

I got married in Union City in 1997, I lived in North Bergen NJ with my wife in 1998 (Hudson County) then moved to Iselin NJ in 2000 (Middlesex county) and got separated in 2001. I have never met her since we got separated in 2001. We did not have any property together, We never had any kids, Nor do I know where she lives now a days. I do not have good job or extra money to file for divorce. Is there any way to get divorce for cheap.... How much will it it cost to file for divorce including all cost in total? filing fees, lawyers fees, advertisement etc... How many months will it take for me to get divorce.

*** Is there a way I can find out if she already filed for and took divorce ? You never know ! *** Where and How can I find this record?? She might be living anywhere in USA ;)

Attorney Answers 5


Not knowing where she lives these days may ultimately make your case a little more expensive as she will need to be found or you will need court approval to do what is called "service by publication". Assuming there are no assets, no children, and no disagreements over these things, it sounds like your case should not be tremendously expensive to complete. No attorney, though, is going to predict or guarantee what it will cost you as there are so many variables and potential problems that could occur. I think you would probably not have to advance a significant retainer, but I would expect it to be between $1500 and $2000 for a retainer on even a "simple divorce". Feel free to contact me if you have any questions as my office is in New Brunswick.

Best regards,

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


i am sorry that you are going through this, it sounds like this will be a divorce by publication of sorts and that there are no assets nor children it shoudl be fairly straightforward- If it was in Boston, it would be about $2000 without filing fees. Take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

8 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


The cost of a divorce is, like the others have suggested, hard to predict. It sounds like your situation could be handled for significantly less than the typical divorce. Feel free to contact me with more details and I can give you a better idea.

Regarding your additional question - you would almost certainly know if she filed for divorce previously. The law requires a litigant to prove that they have given notice of the divorce to the other party.

This information is intended as general information and not legal advice. Contact me at 609-384-3770 for more information.

Mark as helpful


If your wife filed for divorce, it is likely you would know. However, if she served you but substituted service (where it was published in the paper), you may have missed it. You could call the Court in your County and see if there has been a divorce action filed. Usually the Court can check by your names and dates of birth. Though I would expect that if you have received nothing, then it is unlikely she filed without you knowing.
Regarding the cost for divorce, no one can give you an exact price of what it will cost as there are some unknowns. But I would expect that it would cost somewhere in the range of $1500 to $2000. It could be a little less or a little more, but as there is nothing to divide or children to provide for, it should not be complicated. As far as timing, the only issue is that the publications have to be done so many days before the Court hearings. This will impact the total time it will take. You could probably have this all done within approximately four months, though that time frame is also dependent on the Court.
I hope this helps you. Best of luck.

This answer is being made for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice. By responding to a question, no attorney-client relationship has been established.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


If you know where she is and she's willing to sign off, $600 + $250 filing fee ($850 flat fee total) and it should take 4-6 weeks. If you don't know where she is, $1500 retainer (which is approximate total cost), it will require a motion to proceed via publication (ad in the newspaper, etc) and takes 4-6 months.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics