What is the worst that can happen if a employer does not pay labor board awarded amount to past employee

Asked over 1 year ago - Acton, CA

employer got screwed and wants to know the worst that could happen

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Patrick John Phillips

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you fail to submit a timely appeal, a certified copy of the award will be filed with the local superior court and then it will be enforceable like any other civil judgment. Interest will begin accruing at the legal rate of 10% until the judgment is paid. Company assets can be seized. If you are a sole proprietor, personal assets can be seized. Additional collection options are also available.

    Ignoring this is an extremely bad idea. Pay the judgment or consult with a local attorney to determine whether an appeal is a viable option.

    Good luck.


    This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not... more
  2. George Chakmakis Jr

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Employer should appeal immediately.

  3. Brad S Kane


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You should consider whether to appeal very carefully. If you appeal the labor commissioner's decision and still owe any money to the employee, you will be responsible for paying the employee's reasonable attorney's fees. This is true even if you reduce the amount owed. Thus, the appeal may cost you more than the original Labor Board decision.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,001 answers this week

2,933 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,001 answers this week

2,933 attorneys answering