What is the usually sentence for first probation violation in a first time dui case.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Basically showed up and failed the breathalyzer

1. William David Umansky

Pro

11

Answered . I am sorry to hear you are going to violate your probation especially over the holidays. It is hard to determine what type of sentence you would get. Technically you could get up to six months jail or greater if it was a DUI with property damage or injury if your case was a misdemeanor. If you had a DUI with serious bodily injury and it was a felony up to five years in prison. Essentially you can be sentenced to the amount of time you could have originally gotten. However, in MOST cases that is very unlikely. You may get reinstatement of probation without any jail at all other than the time you may spend in when you get picked up on the violation of probation warrant. You may get additional penalties instead of jail. Hire a competent local lawyer who can fight for your rights and i would advise that you get into AA and additional counseling so the Judge looks favorably upon you. I wish you the best of luck!

2. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

10

Answered . I agree with Mr. Umansky. It is impossible to advise you as to the usual sentence for the violation since the overwhelming majority of factors that will determine the sentence in your case are unique to your case. Ultimately, I recommend contacting a criminal defense attorney prior to your first hearing, so you can take a proactive approach to handling the violation of probation. Good luck!

3. Daniel Marc Berman

9

Answered . Impossible to answer without considerably more information, though you certainly could be incarcerated if it's not handled correctly. Hire an attorney ASAP. We handle these type of cases out of our Fort Lauderdale office. 954 764-6099
    www.southfloridaarrests.com

4. Colleen M. Glenn

Pro

8

Answered . Each individual case differs assuming you are on misdemeanor probation the most you can get is the statutory maximum for the original offense. Your outcome could vary from jail to alcohol rehab to simply being placed back on probation.
    www.colleenglenn.com

5. Brian Lee Michael Balaguera

6

Answered . It really depends on the violation. If you failed the breath, it could be jail time or additional treatment. It really depends. Hire an attorney to assist you.

6. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

3

Answered . It is impossible to answer this without knowing more about the original charge and your history on probation.

Probation means you have already been convicted of a crime. A judge decided that you did not need to be imprisoned to protect society, but you are subject to being searched or locked up at any time if someone thinks that decision might have been wrong. You have one foot in the jail cell already!

When talking to clients considering probation, I often compare it to being like moving back home with a step-parent who doesn’t like you. That step-parent gets to set your hours, tell you who your friends are, tell you where you can and cannot live, and talk to your boss at work. If he/she thinks you are breaking a rule, you can be put into jail until a decision is made. It is a significant change in your liberty.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.