What is the usual response time for a lawyer to submit a counter offer to another lawyer?

Lexington, NC |
Filed under: Executor of will

this has to do with an estate where there was no equitable distribution @ divorce, followed by death of plaintiff and now ex spouse wants tons of stuff. ex spouse did not retain representation at time of divorce; but was duly notified and knew date, time, etc.
I am the administrator of the estate

Honestly, I don't think there is really an answer to this question. Personally I like to respond to things quickly but the client on the other side could always be holding things up. Speak to your lawyer if things are not moving.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

There is no set answer. It's good practice to put deadlines for acceptance of offers and counteroffers.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

I agree with my collegue that there is no set time limit. However, if I make an offer, I insert a time limit for response - depending on the situation, but 14 days from receipt of the offer by certified mail is reasonable. Offers I have received also include that language. Good luck!!

Wills and estates topics