What is the typical sentence for a first probation violation based on summary charges?

Chambersburg, PA |

I have 4 summary citations since November, and I'm serving a 4 year probation sentence stemming from a November 2009 misdemeanor guilty plea in Franklin County Pa. This would be my only violation of probation. What is the sentence that I'm looking at?

1. An attorney on the outside of the case, cannot predict what sentence may be imposed. It is suggested that you retain your prior lawyer or hire a new experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you. Violations of probation need to be taken seriously so the attic may suggest a drug or alcohol evaluation to determine why you violated. Good luck.

2. I agree with Mr. Keller. If you are seriously concerned about the potential consequences of the pending violation, you need to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney who is experienced in your county. There is not nearly enough information provided like what your probation is for, your prior criminal history, and the specifics of the four summary offenses. The most important missing pieces are familiarity with the local system in Franklin--your sentencing judge, the prosecutor, and your PO. Start talking with local criminal practitioners.

3. There's no way to know for sure. But explore the possibility of a treatment program instead of incarceration. I have been successful in negotiating treatment programs in lieu of prison time for VOPs. Good luck.

4. Probation and parole violation cases are very fact specific. There is no way to know what you are looking at without knowing more information. If the judge finds you in violation, you will, at the very least, lose all your street time. That could be devastating if you are almost done with a four year probationary sentence. You could be facing another four years of probation, even if you do not get any jail time. The other thing to keep in mind is that a summary offense usually constitutes both a substantive and technical violation. For example, if you have a public drunkenness conviction, you have committed a new crime and consumed alcohol.