What is the typical fine/penalty for Reckless Driving in Washington State? I read it was up to $5,000 and 364 days in jail.

Seattle, WA |

But what is the TYPICAL penalty for someone convicted of this? For a first-time offender that didn't result in any harm or damage. I would appreciate someone who knows first-hand what prosecutors TYPICALLY hand down for this. I know it can be a large range- but tell me the median.

This is a charge that is actually hard to prove. Sometimes you read a charge/report of reckless driving and you just know it is a very strong case and the State will probably win but that is rare. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to make sure you are represented. Throughout the state a person isn't looking at jail time on a 1st offense, a fine roughly of $150-$250 plus court costs. However it is a major traffic offense against your record and if you get 3 majors within a 5 year period then you lost your license for 7 years. This is a big deal and you want an attorney to help you for sure. Find one in your local area and it will cost you less. Good Luck

You will also want to take notice of the additional DOL restrictions: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/suspendrecklessdriving.html

Bet of luck,
Joseph Rome
www.josephome.com

The answer to this question is highly dependent on the facts of the case, the jurisdiction and whether there were any children, drugs or alcohol involved. There is no mandatory jail and you might well end up w/ no jail, but you can expect a fine of at teals $500 and a 30 day license suspension. Get a good attorney and get this knocked down to a Neg 2!

Please note that this is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post represents only the poster's opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in the State of Washington. For more information about our law firm and services, please visit my website at www.brodskylawfirm.com. I hope this post was helpful to you. Thank you.

The biggest determining factor that you have not mentioned is if the reckless driving charge is a reduction from a more serious offense, such as DUI. On a reduction from DUI, there is really no such thing as a "typical" sentence.

That is a very difficult question to answer without knowing more information. Generally, someone with no criminal history and if the case isn't too egregious, you may expect all the jail suspended or a day or two, a fine of between $500 and $1,000 and probation. However, this depends heavily on the facts of the case and how that particular prosecutor's office handles these types of cases. Since a reckless driving conviction carries with it a mandatory license suspension and a requirement for SR22 insurance, it is my strong opinion to hire a lawyer who is experienced in the DUI/criminal traffic field. Good luck!