What is the typical court procedures for a T.P.O. hearing in Ga? Does the respondent have an oppertunity to defend themselves?

Cleveland, GA |

I am facing a T.P.O. case in Georgia. I am the respondent. The petitioner is an angry vindictive ex boyfriend. We had an altercation and in self defense, I hit him back after he had attacked me. They arrested me for "Battery-FVA" however, my charges were dropped. He obtained a T.P.O. on me and now has all of my belongings (furniture, clothes, household items, etc...) I have honored the T.P.O. and ceased all contact and go to court for it next week. What happens in this court setting? Will I have the oppertunity to get my property back? Also, what are the odds they drop the T.P.O? I just found out yesterday that I was expecting...from the petitioner. What do I do!?

First, I advise that you hire a family law attorney to represent you at the hearing. Second, you will have an opportunity to testify, cross-examine the petitioner while he is testifying (or you can call him as a witness if he doesn't testify on his own behalf first), present evidence, and otherwise defend yourself against the TPO possibly being extended for a longer period of time. Third, as you are expecting the petitioner's child, I would wait until the child's birth, and then initiate a paternity action against him seeking child support. Good luck.