What is the time limit to file a slip and fall claim in NYC

New York, NY |

I FELL IN PENN STATION 4 MYHS AGO AND INJURED MY SHOULDER MY RANGE OF MOTION IS STILL VERY LIMITED I FILED A POLICE REPORT THE SAME DAY, IS IT TOO LATE TO FILE A CLAIM NOW

It may not be too late for you to make a claim. However, to properly evaluate the claim, more information is needed. Where were you in Penn Station? There are many entities operating in Penn Station. Amtrak operates certain portions of Penn Station. New York City Transit operates subway stations connected to Penn Station and generally you must file a Notice of Claim against NYC Transit within 90 days of the incident. Did you fall because of an unsafe condition? Do you have photographs of the condition? In order to file a slip and fall claim you must prove that there was an unsafe condition which caused you to fall, that the entity responsible for maintaining the area knew or in the exercise of reasonable care should have known of the condition and either corrected it or placed an appropriate warning. I suggest that you contact a qualified personal injury attorney immediately to obtain and full and complete evaluation of your potential claim.

Neither the receipt nor the distribution of materials, including the use of electronic mail, fax or telephone communications, shall constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship. An actual attorney-client relationship will only be formed with an attorney, upon the execution and delivery of a written retainer agreement in New York, USA, and the satisfaction of the conditions contained therein. Any retainer agreement that may result from communication initiated through this web site shall be made only upon acceptance by the attorney in New York, and shall be subject only to the laws of the State of New York. Communication through the Internet shall not constitute "presence," "doing business" or the practice of law in any place other than the State of New York.

In addition to the fine answer you've received, have you been to a physician, are there witnesses, was it reported? You need to act quickly.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Sorry, meant was it reported to anyone when it occurred?

Penn Station is owned by National Railroad Passenger Corp (Amtrak) and ordinarily they are entitled to a formal Notice of Claim within 90 days. Since you filed an accident report the day of the accident, and were then incapacitated for a period of time, you may able to obtain permission of the court to file late notice of claim. I've brought suit against Amtrak for broken doors at Penn Station, and they have been extremely receptive to early resolution of claims. You need to speak with an attorney immediately.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Stewart & Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldstewart.com

Mr. Timko offers excellent guidance. It is suggested that you contact a personal injury attorney in your area to further discuss the specifics of your fall. If the entity responsible happens to be a municipality you may still be able to bring a claim, but you must act quickly.

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general informational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.