What is the time-frame to return or retrieve personal property after divorce that was finalized in Ohio over 2 years ago?

Williamstown, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce

My divorce was finalized in early September, 2009. My ex-husband only wanted the return of his trains and dvds and noted so in the final decree. I had contacted him via e-mail several times previously noting he needed to give me a 2 week notice of when he was coming to pick up his personal items {in NJ}. The last time I heard from him was early January, 2010. I have now been contacted yesterday noting he was coming in 1-2 weeks. Is there a limit to the time he had to retrieve his items? It has been over 2 years since the divorce has been finalized.

Thank you!

It's his stuff, why do you want to give him a hard time about picking it up?

It depends on the language in the agreement, I wouldn't give him a hard time about it honestly.

Mr. Reimer is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Reimer strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

There likely is not a limitation of time unless so specified in your agreement.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Hopefully you still have the items. If you can contact him, you might say
"if you don't pick them up within XX days, they will be considered
abandoned and will be donated to the Goodwill.

This assumes that you are somehow inconvenienced by storing them. If we're
talking about a few boxes in the attic / basement, don't be unreasonable.

The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

There is not a time limit for picking up personal property. As my colleague stated, if you were inconvenienced by keeping it in storage, you would have had to let him know and be reasonable about it. If you have the property, you have a legal duty to return it.

The responses to questions here are not legal advice, as the facts are very limited.

Thank you all. To answer your questions above, I have been storing it for over 6 years now, 2 of which since the divorce decree and it is taking up approximately 3/4 of the room in my entire basement. I did advise him if they are not picked up by the date he indicates, giving me 1 week advance notice, they will be discarded and donated. Thank you.

It's great to hear feedback and solution from the person who asked the question. You made a great decision.

Recommended articles about Divorce