What is the time frame to file an assignment of mortgage when the mortgage is sold?

A mortgage is sold in December, 2008. Is there a time frame in which the assignment of mortgage is to be filed?

Maineville, OH -

Michelle Lynn Marshall

Michelle Lynn Marshall

Real Estate Attorney - Columbus, OH

I would think the assignee would insist on prompt recordation of the assignment; however, I am not aware of any specific time frame under which an assignment MUST be filed. Hope this helps.

Michael J. Caticchio

Michael J. Caticchio

Real Estate Attorney - Cleveland, OH

you would think a lender would want to file asap

they do not

foreclosures get filed without the assignments
and they then get recorded afterwards

David Jay Sternberg

David Jay Sternberg

Foreclosure Attorney - Mentor, OH

Tlhere is no time limit. However, pursuant to statute and a Federal District Court Holding out of Cleveland, the assignment must be filed before the assignee can enforce the mortgage.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.