What is the time frame for a defendant to answer to an amended complaint in federal court?

Asked over 3 years ago - Inglewood, CA

An amended complaint was submitted on March 22, 11. Some rules stated the time to answer is 10 and then I read 14 days to respond. Which is it?

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Rule 15a: Time to Respond. Unless the court orders otherwise, any required response to an amended pleading must be made within the time remaining to respond to the original pleading or within 14 days after service of the amended pleading, whichever is later.

2. Robert Daniel Kelly

Pro

Answered . http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/Rule15.htm

3. Michael E Catania

Answered . In addition to the above, take a look at Rule 6(d) Additional Time After Certain Kinds of Service.
    "When a party may or must act within a specified time after service and service is made under Rule 5(b)(2)(C), (D), (E), or (F), 3 days are added after the
    period would otherwise expire under Rule 6(a).