What is the statute on a felon with a gun..

Asked about 2 years ago - Victorville, CA

I was convicted 34 years ago. in south carolina. For a felony

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tai Christopher Bogan


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you get your firearms rights restored. To do that you would have to have your conviction removed from your record, expunged or otherwise changed so that you can now own and possess firearms. To do this you would have to contact a South Carolina criminal defense or gun rights attorney.

    The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.
  2. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you're not allowed to posses a gun then you can be charged with PC 30305

  3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Bans for felonies are lifetime.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more
  4. Sean Anthony Brady

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . All three of the other responses when put together generally give you the answer to your question. A felony conviction generally bars you from owning firearms for life under federal law. That means, that if at anytime you are found in possession of either a firearm or ammo (even a single round), you can be charged with another felony. Therefore, you should not be currently in possession of either. If you have been in the past and you are worried about when the statute of limitations runs, I believe it is three years, but I am not certain and you should no rely on that.

    As noted by my colleague, you may be able to have the felony set aside and your rights restored, but that depends on South Carolina law. Yyou should speak with a South Carolina attorney about that.

    If you would like any additional information about firearm laws and rights restoration, there is a ton of it on my firm's website. Good luck.

    Michel & Associates, PC
    Firearm Attorneys
    (562) 216-4444

    All my comments here are intended for general legal purposes. None of my comments here establish an attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,059 answers this week

2,861 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,059 answers this week

2,861 attorneys answering