What is the statute of limitatons to sue on a lease contract?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Buena Park, CA

I WAS SUED FOR FOR UD OCT.2011, LL WON JUDGEMENT. IN AUG. 2012 LL IS SUING ME IN SC FOR 10,000 UNDER TRUST NAME, 2500 UNDER HER NAME AND 6,000 UNDER HER SONS NAME WHO IS A STATE PRISONER SINCE 1998 OR 1999, ALL FOR PROPERTY DAMAGE. (ALL LIES) HEARINGS ARE 2/6/13. ACCORDING TO PROPERTY RECORDS (GRANT DEED), PROPERTY WAS REMOVED FROM TRUST IN MAY 2007 AND OWNER IS SOMEONE ELSE, NOTICE OF TRUSTEE SALE ON MARCH 2010 AND LL HAS PROPERTY IN LITIGATION WITH OWNER.SINCE NOV. 2007. ALL THIS INFO WAS NOT DISCLOSED TO ME WHEN I LEASED PROPERTY LEASE WAS SIGNED 4/1/2011, WE MOVED IN IN MAY 16, 2011. SHE SAID SHE WAS OWNER. I AM IN
CONTACT WITH THE OWNER OF RECORD. I WOULD LIKE TO SUE HER FOR FALSE REPRESENTATION AND FRAUD. MY UNDERSTANDING IS THE LL IS THE OWNER OR SOMEONE AUTHORIZED BY OWNER

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

5

1

Answered . In California, the statute of limitations for breach of written contract is four years from breach. However, there are sometimes circumstances under which the statute of limitation is tolled (extended).

You don't indicate the status of the three pending cases, but I would suggest that you advise the court in each of the cases of the existence of the other pending cases so that they can be consolidated in a superior court lawsuit, and you can file a cross-complaint. Most likely, you would need an attorney to help you on this, but if there is an attorney's fee provision in the lease agreement, the attorney's fees would be recoverable by the prevailing party.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

5

1

Answered . It is my understanding that CA has a two year statute of limitations for oral contracts and a four year statute of limitations for a written contract.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

2

Answered . Statute of limitations is 3 yrs for fraud.

4. Jefferson W. Boone

Pro

3

1

Answered . In MA, the statute of limitations on contracts (including leases) is six years from the alleged breach, although contracts "under seal" have a much longer period. I assume similar in CA. In any event, the statute of limitations would not be an issue if you moved in in 2011 and got sued in 2012.

Whether the alleged landlord has standing to sue you (for example, they don't own the property) is a whole other story.

This sounds pretty complicated, and I'm not sure I understand some of your abreviations or the time lines (e.g., "LL WON JUDGMENT IN AUG. 2012" but "LL is SUEING...HEARINGS ARE 2/6/13). Further, there seems to be a lot of money being claimed, not to mention whatever your prospective counterclaims are worth. YOU NEED TO CONSULT LOCAL COUNSEL ASAP. (Now you've got me SHOUTING!)

GOOD LUCK!