What is the statute of limitations prior to 2011 in regards to an apartment complex collecting a debt which includes rent

Las Vegas, NV |

late fees, early termination fees, etc. where they claim they evicted the tenant. The contract was a one year written lease which started on Sept. 2007 and the tenants moved out on or about April 2008.

The SoL on breach of a written contract in NV is 6 years from the date of breach, which probably means when the last rent payment was due and not paid.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Generally, for a written contract, a party may sue for breach within six years from the date of the breach. NRS 11.190(1)(b). Even if a tenant was evicted in a summary eviction proceeding, the landlord can initiate a separate action later to recover damages. G.C. Wallace, Inc. v. Eighth Judicial District Court, 127 Nev. Adv. Op. 64, 262 P.3d 1135 (2011).

This post is for general informational purposes only. No attempt is made to provide legal advice.

Has the SOL always been 6 years or was it 4 years previously to 2011? I saw somewhere where it changed in 2011 however it didn't state what it was previously. This written contract was signed back in 2007.

Arthur A. Zorio

Arthur A. Zorio

The 2011 amendment to NRS 11.190 only provided for a reference in NRS 11.190 to NRS 40.4639 (adopted in 2011). The period of 6 years in NRS 11.190(1) was not changed in the 2011 legislation. http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Statutes/76th2011/Stats201114.html#Stats201114page1745.

Thank you

7 years from the last date of your last payment to them if they got a judgment. If there is not judgement then 6 years. They can renew the judgment every 7 years to allow it to continue. If they have no judgment, they may have no case. The SL starts to run from the day of notice of the breach of the contract. Good Lluck!!

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and practical evaluation, nor does this recommendation create a retention of counsel agreement between us, wherein an attorney-client relationship or privilege exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for public educational purposes and public discourse on general legal topics. I presume the specific fact scenarios are only supposition and am thus commenting for the public's benefit and understanding of law. I am not soliciting you to hire me or my law firm, though in certain jurisdictions I may be able to refer you to an attorney that can help you or may consult with you for free.

I thought the SOL started from the last missed payment not when the notice was received? This happen over 4 years ago and the only notice received was via email on last Friday, which was a 30 day demand then sending to collections otherwise. No other notices, phone calls, emails have even been made prior to this. What is the possiblity they may settle for a lower amount and if they will is it like a short sale on a mortgage where it will show settled and not paid on the credit report? Thanks in advance.

Scott E. Chapman

Scott E. Chapman

Different for a judgment than a breach. Notice of the breach (the first missed payment) is when it starts, as long as no payments have been make since.

Scott E. Chapman

Scott E. Chapman

The possibility of settlement of a lower amount is more than likely depending upon your adversaries commitment to their cause and the amount in question, but every case is unique. You need to consult an attorney. This information is simply for general public educational purposes only. Let me know if you need a referral. Good Luck!!

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant