What is the statute of limitations on indictment for a felony charge of injury to a child?

Sherman, TX |
Filed under: Felony crime

I got charged with a felony of injury to a child and afraid cuz i am very young and afraid it is going to mess up the rest of my life. I havent hurd much anything about it ... but wondering wat i can do about this charge . . . i have a lawyer, and going to also ask about this. My pro is im afraid of this becuase i have big get!
dreams for college . . . and dont want this to hold me back i need any help i can get! <3 thanks

1. The statute of limitations on this charge is five years from the date of the offense if you are charged with the state jail or third degree felony sections covering injury to a child (TX Code of Criminal Procedure 12.01(4)(C) and ten years from the date of the offense if you are charged with the first degree felony variety (TX CCP 12.01(2)(D)).

If you are convicted of the state jail felony variety, you can be sentenced from 6 months to 2 years in state jail or up to 5 years of probation and a fine of up to $10,000. If you are convicted of the third degree felony variety, you can be sentenced from 2 to 10 years in state prison or up to 10 years of probation and a fine of up to $10,000. If you are convicted of the first degree felony variety, you can be sentenced from 5 to 99 years in state prison or up to 10 years of probation and a fine of up to $10,000.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

You obviously need to talk with your lawyer about what your options are with this kind of charge.