What is the statute of limitations on a slip and fall case in California?

San Diego, CA |

I slipped in some water and fell in Ralph's Grocery Store last June and now my hip and back are in pain. I have been to the doctor several times and was told that my pain may be the result of the fall. I now take medication for the pain.

I would like to know if it is to late to sue.

1. I do not practice in CA and you should consult with a local attorney. This information is being provided for educational purposes only.

Your potential claim appears to still be viable. It appears that CA has a 2 yr statute of limitations. Please see the following link:

2. California indeed has a two year statute of limitations. So you are okay on that issue. What does NOT appear to be okay is how long it took you to go see a doctor. If you waited six months to see any doctor and get treatment, your claim will be received by the insurance company as weak at best, or fraudulent. What disturbs me is that you say "NOW my hip and back are in pain" A YEAR later? Surely you don't mean that. When did you first go to the doctor complaining of the injuries from the fall? Please post more information on these issues and tell us how much the medical treatment has run so far, regardless of who paid them or if paid.

For further information on negligence claims, see my web site at http://negligentdeath.com/article02.htm

3. You should consult with a local personal injury attorney about this matter.

4. There is a two-year statute of limitations in California for such a claim, so your time is still okay. You should seek counsel with an experience personal injury attorney to not only review liability (is Ralph's at fault for the water being there), but also your medical care since the date of the accident.