What is the statute of limitations on a bad debt for a line of credit originated in the State of Texas, now living in Tennessee?

Asked over 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

I just received an Attorney's letter representing the claimant to collect the balance due after not receiving any notifications in 5 years. It reads, "Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion there of, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice, this office will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgment and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification." Thank you for your assistance.

1. Jon Daniel Long

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . I'm not an attorney in Texas and I believe their law will control your case. You should consider seeking advice from a Texas attorney. You can find one here on AVVO.

The statute of limitations is 4 years in Texas. The time begins from the date of last activity (such as the last payment made). Based on your facts you may have a defense based on the statute of limitations under Texas law.

The statute of limitations here in Tennessee is not as short. It is six years.

The language in their letter is standard language required by the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. If you send them a letter demanding they verify your obligation on the debt and the amount they must stop collection activity until they provide the information to you.

Often with old debt that has been purchased by a debt collector it can be settled for pennies on the dollar. It is probably worth the small expense to have an attorney negotiate this if the amount is substantial.

2. Edwin Arnold Anderson

Pro

1

1

Answered . In Tennessee, the Statute of Limitations on a Contract is 6 years from the date of your last payment. Every time you make a payment, the clock starts again.

I agree that this does sound like Texas law will control. Check with a Texas lawyer, pronto.

3. Jason Wade Barnette

Answered . Four years in Texas, six in Tennessee. Sounds like Texas is the controlling issue in your case, but if they sue you in a Tennessee General Sessions Court they will argue that Tennessee law controls. They always do.

The "mini-miranda" notice they gave you is prescribed by the Fair Debt Collection Pratices Act. Dispute the validity of the alleged debt and see if they respond. They cannot lawfully take further collection activity - including suing you - without first providing validation.