What is the statute of limitations in Virginia for sexually assaulting a 4-5 year old child. The offender was age 15-17.

Springfield, VA |

In the 1970s, a teen in my neighborhood repeatedly molested me and other children. I was aged 4-6, and other children varied in age up to age 10-12. The molestation included rape, sodomy, oral copulation, and child pornography. it is possible that the offender's parents were aware. The crimes were never reported. The offender was aged 15-17.
Can the offense still be prosecuted?
Can the offender be sued civilly?

There are no statutes of limitations for felony charges in Virginia. You would need to contact the police department where the acts occurred. A detective will investigate the charges and report their findings to the Commonwealth Attorney's office; if they then find it appropriate, they will file criminal charges. As for civil remedies, I believe the statute of limitations has run on any claims you may have had.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
jd@garrettlawgroup.com
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Does it matter that the offender was also a juvenile?

James Donald Garrett

James Donald Garrett

No.

Child abuse topics