What is the statute of limitations in regards to manufacturing and selling illegal drugs?

Bloomington, IN |

I'm interested in writing a book based on a true story, that took place between 1986 and 1993. There were charges brought against a member in my group and he has served his time and is now free. I was never arrested or charged, and struck a deal with the FBI. I wish to write a memoir of my experience and there was some illegal activity during those years. Just so you know, no one was ever hurt, or killed. We just manufactured and sold illegal drugs, as well as establishing false identities. I'm wondering if there is a statute of limitations that would apply to this illegal activity, and if it will be safe for me to write about it in my memoir without charges being brought against me for confessing to it in a memoir.

First, a confession without other evidence is never enough to charge a crime. And more importantly, the Statue of Limitation in Indiana for a Felony is 5 years and a for misdemeanors is 2 years. And of course, your deal with the Feds could be important. They would have to hold up their deal. But the Statute of Limitations is the most important part of it. I would consider consulting a lawyer before publishing the book, to be safe.

The statute of limitations for a felony is 5 years and 2 years for a misdemeanor. It would be a wise to consult with a criminal defense lawyer before confessing to illegal activity in a memoior. Furthermore, your deal with the FBI may be important too.

Juan C. Garcia, Jr.
Attorney At Law