What is the statute of limitations in KY for 1st degree rape and 1st degree sexual abuse? can one be charged for both together?

Louisville, KY |

if a child was sexually abused by a relative, would said relative be able to be charged for rape and sexual abuse, or just one charge? and how recent must it have been?

you can likely charge both together, if not as separate charges, as alternative theories.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

There is no statute of limitations to prosecute a felony charge in KY. The victim should contact the police, Child Protective Services and the Commonwealth's Attorney Office to give the facts and seek their help. There are many statutes that govern sexual offenses in KY that may apply to the facts.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

There is no statute of limitations for felony charges in Kentucky. Both charges could apply. Of course, the longer that it takes to report may have an impact on the credibility of the witness/victim. If victim, you may contact the county prosecutor or local police. If accused, you should hire an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.

Child abuse topics