What is the statute of limitations for sexual abuse in California?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ramona, CA

A sexual abuse on a minor who is now 28 occurred 12 years ago (voyeurism and manipulation...no physical contact). Is there a statute of limitations for bringing charges.

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

3

Answered . The DA can bring charges up until she is 28; afterwards she may be barred by the statute unless some clever attorney thinks of a way around it.

2. Andrew Michael Limberg

Pro

3

Answered . It truly depends on the reported conduct. Depending on the circumstances, the statute of limitations may not even begin to run until after a victim reports the crime. Any person who suspects they are a target of such allegations should refrain from talking to anyone about it except for a defense attorney. Most defense attorneys provide free consultations.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381
  3. Mark Allen Massey

3

Answered . I trust the other counsels' answers with respect to the criminal aspect, but it by "bring charges," you mean to sue that person in a civil court for damages, then please read the following article that I wrote on that subject and posted on my firm's website: "STATUTES OF LIMITATION FOR CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE LAWSUITS." I tried to paste it here, but too many words. However, it pertains to and discusses the limitations set forth in California Code of Civil Procedure section 340.1. Good luck.

4. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

3

Answered . Depends on the specific conduct alleged.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555