What is the statute of limitations for premises liability?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Dimas, CA

I was involved in an accident on a property almost 1 year ago. Is it too late to find a lawyer to handle the insurance claim?

This occurred on private property. Thanks.

1. Briny Adam Woods

10

Answered . Unless it is a governmental entity (i.e. city, county, state, etc.), you have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. This assumes you are not a minor as well.

2. Fernando Davin Vargas

Pro

10

Answered . The statute of limitations to file a lawsuit against a private party is two years. The statute of limitations against a public entity requires you to file a government claim within six months after the occurrence of the incident. Consult an attorney immediately because the statutory time frames for a government claim after the claim is filed are complicated; and consultations are generally free. Best of luck!

3. Robert John Ounjian

8

Answered . If the property is privately owned you have 2 years from the date of the incident.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

8

Answered . No, you have two years from the date of the accident. Six months if the palce was a local government agency. Best of luck.

5. Patrick John Phillips

8

Answered . It's not too late if your suit is against a private party, although the insurance company will naturally be curious as to why you did not bring the claim earlier. Did you obtain medical treatment after the accident? Do you have any way of proving your injuries?

You'd be wise to consult with a local attorney to determine your best course of action.

http://www.johnphillipslaw.com

6. Daniel Nelson Deasy

9

Answered . Two years fromt he date of incident in most situations.

7. Armen Michael Tashjian

Pro

7

Answered . The SOL is two years for competent adults; unless it was on a property owned by the government, in which case there is a requirement to file a claim within 6 months.

Pro

7

Answered . 2 yrs unless gov entity.

9. Tatiana Kadetskaya

7

Answered . You have 2 years from date of accident, but shorter if governmental entity.

10. David Ian Schoen

Pro

7

Answered . It seems that the correct answer is 2 years.

11. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . Sue, sue, sue, sue to your heart's content