What is the statute of limitations for possession of stolen property in New York?

New York, NY |

For example, if someone stole jewelry worth tens of thousands of dollars but didn't get caught until 20 years later, could they still be punished?

Posted's 5 years.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

No. The statute if limitations has passed for the theft. However, there might be a case for possession of stolen property. You would have to contact law enforcement officials.

I have been an attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

The statute of limitations on a felony is five years. As such they couldn't prosecute you for the theft but if you are still in possession of the stolen property the crime is still ongoing and charges can be brought.