What is the statute of limitations for filing suit against State of NY, City of NY and other governmental agencies/bodies?

Asked 12 months ago - New York, NY

I was adopted as an infant by people who used foster children as a form of income. They have admitted this. They physically and mentally abused me until ACS was called when I was 15. ACS mismanaged the case very badly and let the abuser come back when I was 17. I turned 18 in December, 2012. I have talked to an attorney who said I have a very strong case, but it was not their specialty. How long do I have to sue them? What kind of attorney do I look for?

1. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

3

Best Answer

Answered . The NYS Bar Association (private group, not the board that licenses lawyers) has a lawyer referral program. They will be able to point you to a few qualified attorneys.

http://www.nysba.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Ne...

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

1

Answered . Statutes of limitation vary depending on who you are suing. Contact an attorney to review the facts and determine who to sue and when to sue.

3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

1

1

Answered . An experienced domestic relations attorney with experience suing governmental entities.