Skip to main content

What is the statute of limitations for filing suit against State of NY, City of NY and other governmental agencies/bodies?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I was adopted as an infant by people who used foster children as a form of income. They have admitted this. They physically and mentally abused me until ACS was called when I was 15. ACS mismanaged the case very badly and let the abuser come back when I was 17. I turned 18 in December, 2012. I have talked to an attorney who said I have a very strong case, but it was not their specialty. How long do I have to sue them? What kind of attorney do I look for?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    The NYS Bar Association (private group, not the board that licenses lawyers) has a lawyer referral program. They will be able to point you to a few qualified attorneys.

  2. An experienced domestic relations attorney with experience suing governmental entities.

  3. Statutes of limitation vary depending on who you are suing. Contact an attorney to review the facts and determine who to sue and when to sue.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics